Centre for Information Policy Leadership
Please join us for the Centre's Annual Membership Retreat, Hunton & Williams LLP, June 13, 2013.
The Centre for Information Policy Leadership is a policy development organization, which is a part of the law firm of Hunton & Williams LLP. The Centre was founded in 2001 by leading companies and Hunton & Williams LLP to develop innovative, pragmatic approaches to privacy and information security that take into account the requirements of business processes and address the concerns of individuals about the protection of their information. Collaborating with industry leaders, consumer organizations and government representatives, the Centre develops policies that foster privacy and information security, while balancing economic and societal interests.
Since its establishment, the Centre has helped business, data protection authorities and advocates rethink how to manage and protect data in an information economy. It has addressed such issues as accountability, cross-border data transfers, conflicting national legal requirements, cross-border data transfers, and government use of private sector data.
The Centre has participated in work at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation process. In emerging economies, the Centre has hosted capacity-building workshops and made available to governments resources to assist them in developing privacy and data protection governance that promotes economic development and protected data flows. In the US, the Centre is a frequent contributor at hearings and workshops on Capitol Hill and before administrative agencies.
Materials generated through Centre projects are available to the public, and are used to inform policymakers in the U.S. and abroad. Privacy professionals at member companies participate in Centre processes to resolve issues facing their organizations. While the Centre is member-driven and member-supported, it frequently engages data protection authorities, privacy experts and consumer privacy organizations in its work to foster thoughtful, balanced solutions.
- 2013 Annual Membership Retreat, Washington, DC, June 13, 2013
- The Value of Information in an Era of Big Data, Primer Congreso Internacional De Proteccion Datos, Santa Marta, Colombia, June 7, 2013
- The Best of Both Worlds: When Innovation and Privacy Meet in the Age of Big Data, Toronto, Ontario Canada, May 22-24, 2013
- Accountability Project Phase V – Spring Meeting, Toronto, Ontario Canada, May 8-9, 2013
- OECD Working Party on Information Security and Privacy (WPISP), Paris, France, April 9-10, 2013
- Personal Data Protection, Innovation and Competiveness, Mexico City, Mexico, April 8, 2013
- Accountability – Making the Platform for 21st Century Data Governance Real, Brussels, Belgium, March 26, 2013